ORGANISATION/COMPANYThe University of Arizona
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Applied chemistryEngineering › Chemical engineeringEngineering › Water resources engineeringEnvironmental science › Water science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE03/02/2020 00:00 - America/Los Angeles
LOCATIONUnited States › Tucson
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE15/01/2020
A Postdoctoral Research Associate position is available as part of a Strategic Environmental Research and Development Program (SERDP, Department of Defense) project focused on remediation of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) using novel and conventional sorbents. The project is a collaboration between the Department of Chemical & Environmental Engineering (https://chee.engineering.arizona.edu/) and the Department of Environmental Science (https://environmentalscience.cals.arizona.edu/) at the University of Arizona, under the direction of Dr. Reyes Sierra-Alvarez, and an environmental consulting industry partner. The postdoc will be responsible for conducting experiments, writing technical reports and peer-reviewed papers, supervising graduate and undergraduate students, and assisting with proposal writing. Competitive candidates will have a strong background and research experience in the fields of contaminant chemistry and mass spectrometry, and a proven track record of exemplary research publications, presentations, and excellent communication skills. The candidate will join an existing project research team that includes environmental engineering and science faculty, another postdoc, and graduate and undergraduate students. This is a year-to-year appointment. Position continuation is based on budget availability and satisfactory performance.
Review of applications will commence on December 9th, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled.
Interested candidates should submit apply through the Univ. of Arizona web portal. https://uacareers.com/postings/43171
Duties & Responsibilities
• Design, perform and monitor experiments to investigate the sorptive removal of PFAS in contaminated water.
• Design, perform and monitor experiments to elucidate the adsorption mechanisms of PFAS on the engineered sorbents using molecular spectroscopic methods.
• Quantitation of PFAS using HPLC/mass spectrometry methods.
• Write technical reports, peer-reviewed publications, and present results from the work at scientific conferences and technical forums.
• Assist with the supervision of graduate and undergraduate students.
• There may be additional duties assigned as it relates to this position.
• Doctoral degree in environmental engineering, environmental science, chemistry or related fields.
• Strong background in analytical chemistry.
• Prior experience with mass spectrometry methodologies
• Ability to work both independently and within collaborative teams.
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
• Competitive candidates will have a strong background and research experience in the fields of contaminant chemistry and mass spectrometry
• A proven track record of exemplary research publications, presentation
Research experience in one or more of the following fields is desirable:
• Research experience in the field of contaminant removal using activated carbon, ion exchange resins or other sorbents.
• Experience with the analysis of trace organic chemicals in complex aqueous matrices (e.g., solid phase extraction, high performance liquid chromatograph).
• Experience with spectroscopic techniques (FTIR, NMR, Raman, etc).
• Experience supervising the day-to-day work of graduate and undergraduate students.
• Effective writing skills for publication of articles in scientific research journals.
Interested candidates should submit the following documents with the application: a cover letter highlighting their relevant experience and research interests, a curriculum vitae, and copies of 1 or 2 publications. Additionally, please list three references with email addresses in the reference collection section of the application.
EURAXESS offer ID: 464784
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.